Sunnah words and phrases meanings
How many of us use these sunnah words during the day?
How many of us know the following terms and its meanings?
• Bismillahhir rahmanir rahim ~ In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful.
• Assalaamu Álaikum (Peace be upon you) – by way of greetings
Wa alaikumus salaam (peace be upon you) – in reply to the greetings
• Bismillah (in the name of Allah) – before making a beginning
Jazakallah (may Allah reward you) – for expression of thanks
• Fi Amanillah (may Allah protect you) – by way of saying good-bye
• Subhaanallah (glory be to Allah) – for praising something
• Insha Allah (if Allah wishes) – for expressing a desire to do something
• Astaghfirullah (I beg Allah for forgiveness) – repenting for sins before Allah
• MaashaAllah (as Allah has willed) – for expressing appreciation of something good
• Alhamdulillah (praise be to Allah) – for showing gratitude to Allah after success or even after completing anything
Ya Allah (Oh Allah) – when in pain or distress, calling upon Allah and none else
Aameen (may it be so) – the end of a Dua or prayer
Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilahi raaji’oon (to Allah we belong and to Him is our return) – this is uttered as an expression of sympathy of the news of some loss or some one’s death
– JazakAllahu khair for _expression of thanks (May Allah reward you with goodness)
BarakAllahu fikum – responding to someone’s thanks (May Allah bless you)
Sal allahu alaihi wasallam – whenever say the name of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) (S.A.W.)
Alaihi salaam – whenever say the name of a prophet( Peace be upon him) (A.S.)
Radi Allah Anhu – whenever say name of male companion of the Prophet (Sahabi) (May Allah be pleased with him) (R.A.)
Radi Allah Anha – whenever say name of female companion of the Prophet (May Allah be pleased with her) (R.A.)
Radi Allah Anhum – Plural form of saying companions of the Prophet (May Allah be pleased with them) (R.A.)
La hawla wala quwata illah billah – during the time of troubles (There is no strength nor power except Allah)
Fi sabi lillah – giving charity (For the sake of Allah)
“Tawakkal-tu-Allah – (rely on Allah) to solve a problem
Tawkkalna-Alallah – (we have put our trust in Allah) when you wait for a problem to be solved.
Rahmah Allah – (Allah have Mercy on him) when you see someone in distress.
Na’uzhu-billah – (we seek refuge in Allah) to show your dislike.
Inna Lillah – (we are for Allah) – when you hear about a death
Ittaqillah (fear Allah) – when you see someone doing a bad deed.
Allahu Yahdika – (may Allah guide you ) – to forbid somebody to do something indecent.
Hayyak Allah – (Allah maintain your life) when you greet someone.
Allahualam – (Allah knows best) when you say something you are not sure of.
Tabarak Allah – (blessed be Allah) when you hear a good news
Hasbi Allah – (Allah will suffice me) when you are in a difficult situation.
Adhak Allah Sinnaka – (May Allah keep you cheerful) when you seek another Muslim with cheerful countenance.
I hope this helps you to understand and learn more about the basic words and phrases you use and might hear daily. Allah knows best
(Shared by sister/in/islam)